Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tradeoffs


It's taking time, but I'm getting used to the idea that I can't just run down to the local food market and get what I want. A recent trip to the Safeway market in search of chicken for a dinner was thwarted by an empty shelf.  I always try and have fresh strawberries on hand to add to my morning ritual of McCann's steel cut oats, and what I find is kind of hit or miss in the fresh produce. I have to believe that 15 or 20 years ago that actually seeing a fresh berry here would be next to impossible, and I'm not complaining, I'm really not. There are some trade offs to live here and once a person comes to terms with that, there gonna be better off. The idea of taking a 20 minute hot shower every morning is something many people here can only dream of.. Much of the area private wells are not an option, and unless you live in town, you will need to either haul in your own water, or have it delivered. Last I heard, delivered water is around .06 cents per gallon.  Natural gas for heating is just now becoming available in town and some of the outlying area and people are excited about it.  In some ways I feel like I've jumped back in time about 30 years.. To bad the rest of me hasn't done that!!  The idea of living in a remote area is tempered by the idea that, if I want to call and chat with friends or family living 3500 miles away, all I need to do is hit a button on my iPhone and I'm talking. Technology has found its way here, I'm sure fresh strawberries will be here too.. Maybe in another 20 years. So much for my rant.. I like living here, I don't miss the 45 minute commute to work and back every day, the photo above is 8am rush hour in down town Homer. We will be moving out of the apartment in town to a place up on the hill soon, so the trade off between watching the mass of taillights on Interstate 35 verses the view overlooking Grewingk Glacier on the drive down the hill into town is a no brainer. I had the audacity to make a post on Facebook yesterday about the recent lack of snow and the copious amount of rain days we've had, while the rest of the nation is locked in a deep freeze... I even checked the temps in Fairbanks and they're enjoying 20's and 30's all this week!  Needless to say my complaint was hit pretty hard by prople I know in Minnesota. As I sit here the latest one came from Aras, who reminded me "we have good beer here too!"  So I'm gonna be patient and wait for some snow.. It will show up, I'm sure of it!  Now I'll be thinking about next summer when I'm enjoying 60F degrees and sunshine, and they will be 95F with dew points near 70. 
So there are trade offs, some easy to see, and others just take some time to sink in. The idea of staying fit and trim here is another trade off.. A future rant!!

No comments: